Permethrin is one of the common medications used to treat scabies in adults and kids 2 months of age and above. It is also available as OTC medication. Permethrin falls in the category of medications termed as scabicides and pediculicides. The medication removes the lice and mites responsible for scabies.
How to Use Permethrin Medication for Scabies?
Permethrin is available as both cream and lotion. OTC permethrin lotion is used to apply on the scalp and hair. The medication is prescribed for one to three treatments. A secondary treatment with permethrin is given if the mites are found a week of treatment. Read the instructions given on the label carefully before using these medications. In fact, you must use the creams and lotions as directed. Use the amount of cream and lotion as prescribed by the physician.
Do not use more or less of it or use it more often than prescribed by your doctor.
Permethrin should be applied on the hair, skin and scalp. Don’t use them around or in your eyes, nose, ears, mouth or vagina. Flush permethrin with water from your eyes immediately. If you are still experiencing itching or burning sensation, call your physician.
- Take out a thin layer of cream and use it all over your skin from your neck down to your toes
- Apply the cream to the hairline, temples and forehead
- A single tube of cream can cover your body
- Leave the cream on your skin for 8-14 hours
- After that duration, wash off the cream by taking bath
- You may experience itching skin with permethrin cream. Don’t worry. It is the common symptom while using the cream.
Things to Keep in Mind While Using Permethrin Lotion:
- First of all, wash your hair with shampoo. Don’t use a conditioner or a shampoo containing conditioner as it may affect your treatment.
- Use a clean towel to dry your hair
- Shake the permethrin lotion bottle
- Use a towel to cover your face and eyes. Make sure to keep your eyes closed during the treatment
- Apply the lotion to your scalp and hair. Start applying lotion behind your ears and at the back of your neck and then cover all of the hair on your head and scalp
- Wear the lotion on your hair and scalp for 10 minutes.
- Wash off the lotion with warm water in a sink. Avoid getting shower or bathtub to wash off the lotion away as the rest of your body can come contact it
- Dry your hair with a towel
- Wash your hands immediately after using the lotion
- You can use the lice comb to remove the dead lice and nits after the process.
- Repeat the process if there are lice on your head 7 days or more after the treatment.
Precautions to Follow While Using Permethrin Cream:
- If you are allergic to permethrin, tell your doctor about that
- Share your other medication plan like vitamins, herbal supplements and other products you are taking or plan to take
- Tell your doctor if you have or have ever had skin conditions
- If you are pregnant or breast feeding, tell your doctor about that
- Keep the medication away from kids
- Don’t let anyone use the medication
Call Your Physician If You Are Experiencing Side Effects from Permethrin Like…
- Itching of skin or scalp area
- Redness of skin or scalp area
- Feeling numbness or tingling of the skin
- Trouble breathing
- Prolonged irritation of the skin or scalp area
Pus filled blisters on the skin or scalp area